Friday, June 29, 2007

The power of the shower

I had this great idea for a blog post while I was in the shower this morning. You know, an actual post, some real thoughts and conclusions, perhaps a little discussion. Something deep, rich and meaningful.

I'd written half of it in my head, the rest was rolling about in there, all in the wrong order, but just waiting for a pen and paper to line it all up and make it behave. Today I was going to be a real blogger!

Then I stepped out of the shower.

Poof.

Gone.

Just me and a few drips of water on the tiles, and the words 'deep, rich and meaningful' racketing about in my head, which wasn't much to go on as the words 'deep' and 'rich' came off my conditioner bottle in the first place. Gee, I love a good cliche.

The shower is one of my favourite thinking places and our water bill reflects that. I've had ideas for articles, come up with witty headlines and pithy body copy and solved gnarly plot points. The problem is...holding that thought. The instant I turn the water off, my shower ideas go down the plug hole with the soap scum and loose hairs. This is why my kids are occasionally treated to a naked, dripping me rushing towards pen and paper screaming 'I've got to write that down!'

Maybe I should glue a pen and whiteboard to my shower cabinet. Maybe then you'd get that wonderful blog that this replaced...

Where do you have your best ideas?

4 comments:

jjdebenedictis said...

Well, I often get ideas I think are fantastic right in the armpit of the night, but even if I do write them down, the next morning, I realise they're crap.

I call these ideas vampires. They don't deal well with daylight. :-)

McKoala said...

Heh, heh. I like that. That might make mine amphibious ideas that can't handle fresh air.

jjdebenedictis said...

Ooh; you get ideas from the mighty idea-salmon! :-D She has to flee whenever the water goes off, however.

Or perhaps you have tiny dehydrated ideas lying dormant in your sinuses. The moisture of the shower causes them to swell and hastily search out a breeding ground (your brain).

McKoala said...

The Mighty Idea-Salmon! I love that. It also pinpoints something I found out last night while reading my son's school reader with him. Amphibians can live both in and out of water...and I'm an idiot.

Grade 1. It's a learning experience for both of us.